Saturday, August 9, 2014

Ethics, Anyone?

Please, please, please! Don't ask me to copy another building designer or architect's design for your home! 

You might say, "I'd never do that!"...you know the difference between right and wrong...but would you ask me to change the plan a little so it would then be different?  A lot of people have asked me to do just that!

As the cartoon above implies some folks might think there are 3 ways to go: Right, Wrong,...and something inbetween (because it just 'depends')!

You might really believe that by adding 2 feet across the back of a plan, or changing the roof from gables to hips is enought to keep you (and me) out of trouble.  But the truth is, it is theft.  I think the law calls it 'theft of intellectual property.' 

What's a future homeowner to do?  Of course...go ahead and collect all those model home floor plans, take pictures, and make a binder.  You like the Master Bath of one plan and the Front Elevation of another. Show them to me when we discuss what you want in a home...but DON'T ask me to copy them! 

I want to see those designs to get an idea of the style, flow and features you like.  But you are paying me to custom design something unique just for you! Please let me be creative so we can both be proud of the outcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment